The (UXPA UK) committee is made up of enthusiastic volunteers from the community. As an organisation we’re constantly growing and evolving.
We are looking to fill in the following committee position:
- Mentoring Manager
You will need a passion for UX and/or events, a commitment to seeing the UXPA UK succeed and grow, and a real desire to support colleagues in the industry. Being a committee member does require a reasonable time commitment and the standard term is 2 years. Committee members do not receive any personal remuneration, but it is a truly rewarding and social experience!
Getting involved is a great opportunity to share your knowledge and experience to help our industry. You’ll get lots of opportunities to meet like-minded people, it will help your CV and most importantly it is fun too! If you are motivated to help and have a few hours free each week then we’d welcome your help.
Each committee role will be filled by an individual who has been appointed by a voting process. Nominees must be UXPA UK members – as must voters. Membership will be checked during the process. Details on the election process and a summary of committee and role descriptions are below.
In addition, we are looking for Project Leads to support our core areas including:
- 2 x Events Support Project Leads
- 2 x Mentoring Support Project Leads
- 1 x Website Project Leads
Project Lead roles are not full members of the UXPA UK committee and are not subject to a public voting process. They are appointed by a vote of UXPA UK committee members. Project Lead positions have an active role to play in shaping our activities. They do not do not require the same level of commitment of a 2 year fixed-term and as such do not have full voting rights for committee matters. They do however, carry many of the benefits and opportunities!
Summary of the Required Commitment of Committee members :
- If based in London, attend a minimum of 8 monthly committee meetings a year (currently 1st Wednesday of month in the evening). Meetings are held in-person or remotely.
- If unable to attend a meeting in person, a written role update should be provided ahead of the meeting.
- For roles apart from Events Manager/Support, if based in London, attend a minimum of 6 of our regular monthly events a year (3rd Thursday of month in the evening).
- Organise speakers for, or host, 1 to 2 events per year.
- Decide the theme and format and secure speakers for the evening.
- Organising an event requires roughly 10-20 hours; logistical assistance is provided by the Event Manager and Project Leads.
- Encourage growth in your specific area of responsibility which will vary from role to role.
- Actions and commitment will vary from role to role and from month to month.
- You should allow about 12 hours per month.
- All roles require some initiative. You should bring your own ideas on how to fulfil your role best with suggestions from the committee and the community.
UXPA UK objectives:
- Ensure the organisation meets its objectives, and that it acts in the interests of the organisation’s beneficiaries.
- Ensure that all the rules in the constitution are followed.
- Promote the benefits of membership and participation.
- Secure sponsorship and discount options wherever possible.
A summary of the responsibilities for each role is provided below:
- Take overall responsibility for the UXPA UK mentoring scheme at Committee Level and investigate ways it can be enhanced for the benefit of UXPA UK members.
- Engage with a range of UX professionals to increase involvement with the UXPA UK mentor scheme.
- Investigate ways to increase mentor engagement with UXPA UK activities.
- Manage the Mentoring Support Project Leads to ensure the mentoring scheme runs effectively. This may include suggesting improvements and enhancements to current processes.
- Cover the duties of Mentoring Support Project Leads, as required.
Mentoring Support Project Leads
- Work collaboratively with the Mentoring Manager and other Project Leads to ensure the mentoring scheme runs effectively.
- Take responsibility for responding to mentoring scheme queries in a timely manner.
- Match mentees with mentors, perform introductions and periodically check on the status of mentoring arrangement.
- Maintain and update the list of mentors on the UXPA UK website.
- Maintain a record of communication with mentees and mentors.
- Support documentation is available.
Events Support Project Leads
- With support and guidance from the Events Manager, the primary responsibility of the Events Support role is to co-ordinate the planning and ensure the smooth running of UXPA UK events. including being available on the day of each event.
- This will involve being available on the day of and attending the event. Events for 2019 are scheduled to be held in the evening (18:00 – 21:00) of the 3rd Thursday of the month for approximately 100 people.
- With assistance from the Events Manager, liaise with the venue to ensure facilities will be available and the event space set-up as required.
- Co-ordinate with the Events Manager to ensure that food and drink is set-out at the venue in time for the event. Note: The Events Manager is responsible for ordering food and drink for the event.
- Ensure badges are printed for all registered attendees and are delivered to the venue or collected from the printers.
- Provide an attendee register to be used on the evening.
- Manage volunteers for each event, allocating responsibilities, providing detailed briefings and monitoring completion.
Website Support Project Lead
- Source relevant and appropriate content for the UXPA UK website.
- Manage and maintain the UXPA UK jobs board.
- Maintain a snag-list and liaise with our external developer to implement enhancements.
- Work with the committee produce a development roadmap for the UXPA UK website including integration of membership and events management software.
- Knowledge of WordPress and HTML is required.
Want to get involved, but not sure you suit those roles?
While some roles do have set responsibilities, individuals do have flexibility to tailor the duties to suit their expertise or area of interest. Applications for other named roles which are not part of the current Management Committee and Project Leads will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The applicant should make their own case for the role and apply using the normal process.
What is the process?
If you would like further information on the responsibilities of being a committee member or would like to discuss a specific role in more detail please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com before you submit your application. They will direct your query to the relevant committee member.
To apply for a role, you will need to prepare a short written application, which should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before the nominations close on Monday, 3rd November.
The application should cover:
- What you will bring to the UXPA UK committee (max 150 words).
- A summary of your related experience (e.g. role specific experience, voluntary experience or previous UXPA UK involvement) (max 200 words).
- A short biography (200 words)
If you wish to make a case for a role that is not named above, you should also include:
- Your vision for the role (max 200 words).
- Your goals for the 1st year of your term (max 150 words).
The key dates for the election are as follows:
- Nomination Open: Monday, 19th November 2018.
- Nomination Close: Monday, 3rd December 2018.
- Voting Opens: Wednesday, 5th December 2018.
- Voting closes: Wednesday, 19th December 2018.
- Notification to applicants: Friday, 21st December 2018.
- Notification to community: January 2019.
The successful applicant will be the applicant with the highest number of valid votes. The current UXPA UK President and Vice-President will adjudicate and will have the final say on whom is appointed to the positions.